Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
What SIDS Is and What SIDS Is Not
the major cause of death in infants from 1 month to 1 year of age, with most deaths occurring
between 2 and 4 months
sudden and silent--the infant was seemingly healthy
currently, unpredictable and unpreventable
a death that occurs quickly, often associated with sleep and with no signs of suffering
determined only after an autopsy, an examination of the death scene, and a review of the
designated as a diagnosis of exclusion
a recognized medical disorder listed in the International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision
an infant death that leaves unanswered questions, causing intense grief for parents and families
SIDS Is Not:
caused by vomiting and choking, or minor illnesses such as colds or infections
caused by the diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus (DPT) vaccines, or other immunizations
the cause of every unexpected infant death
So Much Is Asked...Because So Much Is required.
- Minnesota SIDS Contact
- Kathleen Fernbach, PHN, Director
- Minnesota Sudden Infant Death Center
- Children's Health Care
- 2525 Chicago Avenue South
- Minneapolis, MN 55404
- 612-813-6285 voice
- 800-732-3812 voice (in MN)
- 612-813-7344 fax
SIDS SITES On THE WEB
These are only a few of the many sites on the Web that offer information on the
subject of SIDS.
- Childrens Hospital & Medical Center (Seattle, WA.)
- Arizona SIDS Alliance, a new page with a lot to offer - check them out!
- SIDS Resources of Oregon, another new page!
- NJ SIDS Resource Center: Homepage
- Babyhood: Health and Safety: SIDS
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Network
- Sids Web
- The National Maternal and Child Health Clearinghouse has a SIDS page, as well as other useful information.
- Southwest SIDS Research Institute A very informative site from Texas.
- Back to Sleep The National Institute of Health site has quite a bit of information, follow the Back to Sleep link.
- National SIDS Research Center
Back To Dipples Pages